Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Old News? Shakespeare Reading Lists

Ok, who new that Google News actually allows you to search "news" from up to 20 years ago? I just had to type in Shakespeare and start poking around.


Here's the first interesting article I found, showing the most popular required reading lists for high school (broken out by private, public, Catholic).


I don't think there are many surprises (Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth and Hamlet show up on every list), but it does remind me a bit of our Catcher in the Rye discussion from a few weeks back. What was required reading when you were in high school?



I never read Scarlet Letter, Of Mice and Men, or Gatsby. But I did read some Thomas Hardy, I don't see him on the list. And some Kafka, Hemingway and a few others.



No comments: