Thursday, May 03, 2007

That Cloud Looks Like Shakespeare

I enjoy a good round of "cloud game" as much as the next guy.  It's not really a competitive game, it's just looking at the clouds and trying to see stuff.  If you're playing it with somebody, you try to convince the other person of what you've seen.  The more complicated the vision, the more satisfactory the playing.  I once saw an orchestra playing, complete with conductor, while people waltzed on a dance floor.  I was pretty amazed at how clear it was.

Last night on the train I saw something that immediately made me think, "Hey, that looks like a princess."  You could clearly see a body, some flowing hair and a big poofy ball gown.  I suppose that having two toddler girls, I'm becoming an expert in spotting things that look like princesses.  She was entangled up with another shape which didn't resemble a prince quite as well as she resembled a princess, but it was an obvious comparison to make.  What was interesting was that the way she was bent made it look like she was being pulled away from him in that classic "arms outstretched until only our fingers touched" movie moment.  But then, in a bigger cloud, I saw the reason.  Plain as day I saw a big ol' evil wizard, arm outstretched toward the happy couple as if dragging her magically away from him.

My next thought is probably a leap that only a Shakespeare Geek would make, but it immediately clicked - that's not a princess and an evil wizard, that's Miranda and Ferdinand, and the big magic dude is her dad Prospero.   

4 comments:

cosmicdust said...

nice :)

er, i m also a shakepeare's fan :)

LOBO said...

I always wanted to 'spoof' Hamlet based on my characters.

Is there a decent Cliff Notes-type version of that story minus all the "thees" and "thous"?

I would be happy to link you up for your contribution!

Duane Morin said...

Oh, my, there's so many. You can probably start at "No Fear Shakespeare", that's easily memorable. You'll find that translating Shakespeare into something "minus all the thees and thous" is quite a popular sport.

http://nfs.sparknotes.com/hamlet/

LOBO said...

You're AWESOME. Thanks!

-- and linked as promised!

:)