Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Shakespeare's Birthday

I'm actually going to be travelling on Monday, so I thought I'd post something now.  Shakespeare's birthday is widely considered to be April 23, which happens to coincide with the day that he died(*).  The only similar occurence of which I'm familiar is the famous Mark Twain / Halley's Comet connection, where he "came in and went out with it", in Twain's own words.  It wasn't the same day, though.  But still a neat bit of trivia.  While I'm on Twain I might as well link to Is Shakespeare Dead? by Mr. Twain himself.

Anyway, back to the Bard.  I wish I lived someplace where they celebrate his birthday with parades!

(*) Records indicate his baptism as April 26, and at the time Christenings were done 3 days after the birth.  So April 23 is a convenient guess, like much of his biography.

Technorati tags: ,

2 comments:

porgie said...

I would pretty much give some unused bodily appendage to go to that parade.

JaneFan said...

argh, still kicking myself for not making it to Stratford-upon-Avon when I was in England. I promised yself I'd go there "next time," ut who knows when that will be!?

The only big celebration I know of stateside is at the Folger library in DC: http://www.folger.edu/template.cfm?cid=575