Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Famous Last Words

If there's one thing you can say about Shakespearean tragic heroes, it's that they certainly get to say what's on their mind before they kick it.  Wikiquote, offshoot of Wikipedia, actually has a whole page dedicated to Shakespearean last words.  The most obvious ones (Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, etc...) are in there, but also Titus, Richard II, King John, and a number of others.  I'm not really sure if there's a system to figuring out just how much context to put on "last words".  After all, somebody recently told me that a NY Times crossword clue recently was Romeo's last words and the answer they wanted ended up being just the last four letters (I won't spoil it if you're looking for the answer - that's on the Romeo page). This is about as poetic as his last word being "Arrrghhhh." (Thanks to Monty Python for that joke.)

If you're into lists of Shakespeare quotes, don't leave without checking out the Top 5 Best Things To Say Before Killing Somebody.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping me on the May 16th Times puzzle -- answer I Die.

Anonymous said...

..and another Times crossword puzzler thanks you..this time 12/16/07

Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping me with my monolauge for acting auditions

JM said...

Slightly more poetic if the rest is quoted along with it?

Here's to my Love. O true Apothecary:
Thy drugs are quick.Thus with a kiss I die.