Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Once Again, Geeklets Knock Me For A Loop

So tonight it's bath night and I'm pouring water over my son's head in the tub.  "Look, a double bubble!" he says.


"Double bubble toil and trouble," says I.  "Fire burn and cauldron bubble!"

"Fillet of a fenny snake," I hear out of the 8year old.

"Holy sh*t!" says I, who did not realize that they knew the speech.  (Ok, I didn't really say that, but I certainly thought it :))  It's not like any of those are commonly used words, after all.  "Ok, you caught Daddy by surprise, I did not know that you guys knew that speech."

"Oh sure," says the 10year old, "Everybody knows that speech.  Fillet of a fenny snake, in the cauldron boil and bake."

Seriously, the only time I know of that they would have heard that speech (other than the opening line) was when I taught the 8yr old's Brownie troop.   Either it just stuck somehow, or they've been exposed to it in other ways.

Pretty soon they're going to come at me with Shakespeare knowledge that they picked up independently of me.  I can't wait.

No comments: