Thursday, October 22, 2009

Madness? This is Shakespeare!

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/10/22/gerard-butler-goes-shakespearean-in-coriolanus/

Ok, that meme is long dead, but it’s true that Gerard Butler is still pretty much known as “the screamy guy from 300, the Sparta movie.” 

Well pretty soon he can add Coriolanus to the list, which when you think of it is probably not that much of a stretch.  I expect Coriolanus to wear more clothing.  And I never saw all of 300, so I’m not quite sure what Sparta guy’s relationship was to his mother.  Kicking people into bottomless pits could maybe work in both.

UPDATE : Ralph Fiennes is actually slated to play the lead, no word on who Butler will play. Thoughts?

UPDATE 2 : Thank you, Twitter!

“It looks like I might be doing Coriolanus, the Shakespeare play, the movie version… the adaptation of. Ralph Fiennes will be directing and playing Coriolanus and I’d be playing Tullus Aufidius his nemesis!”

1 comment:

Craig said...

That could be a lot of fun. I think Coriolanus is one of the most underrated plays Shakespeare wrote. Richard Burton gave a tremendous performance in the lead in a HarperCollins Audio production I have on tape somewhere. Aufidius is also a great role.