Friday, March 27, 2009

Kabuki Twelfth Night

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123809862598451041.html

I don’t know anything about Japanese Kabuki theatre, but I like the idea of the cultural crossover.   Also of note is that a single actor will play both Cesario/Viola and Sebastian, her twin brother.  In Kabuki theatre all the parts are played by men, just like Elizabethan times.

From the article:

In Kabuki, there are many, many forms -- you could call it a toolbox -- and it was a matter of choosing the right ones and putting them together. Because they know the forms so well -- some of which I didn't understand -- they normally rehearse and put on a play in three days.

Wow.

1 comment:

L.K. McIntosh said...

My aunt saw a 9 hour long Kabuki version of Henry IV parts 1 and 2, and Henry 5. I think it was in France, but I could be wrong. Anyway, that's a lot of Kabuki.