Wednesday, May 14, 2008

100 Must Read Books

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14/100-must-read-books-the-essential-mans-library/

As I've mentioned, I love lists like this because I want to see where Shakespeare shows up :).  Although this one comes from the site Art of Manliness, it's really more about the classics - Huckleberry Finn, To Kill A Mockingbird, Slaughterhouse Five, etc... along with heaping helpings of real classics like Plato, Nietzche, and even Herodotus!

Yes, Hamlet is on the list.

I've read 20 of the 100.  Not sure if that's good or not.  Doesn't seem good.  There's gotta be another 40 or so for which I could say, "Yeah, dang, I've always wanted to read that."  Some I've just never heard of, or have no interest in.  Lot of war and politics books.

1 comment:

Alan K.Farrar said...

56 myself.

Most of it 'light' for filling in time - or obvious.

Not very manly - several distinctly 'school-boy'.

Hamlet's a teenage choice - along with all that suicidal Russian.

Now, must read Shakespeare for men ..