Monday, August 29, 2011

Cataracts and Hurricanoes

I know not everybody's on the east coast of the United States, but I am :).  How'd you spend your hurricane?

Personally I spent it on Twitter tossing out mostly King Lear jokes, with the occasional Tempest thrown in for good measure.  So many Lear comments, in fact, that at one point Sunday afternoon I took a bit of a nap on the couch and had this weird dream where I was some sort of guest speaker for this crowd that had gathered outside, after the hurricane.  I was directed to a podium with a microphone, and had no prepared comments, so I opened with "Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! Rage! Blow!"  Of course even in my dream I can never remember the next line (I always want to say "spitfires and hurricanoes"), so that's all I've got.

For the obligatory "Replace a word in the title with Irene" game on Twitter we had A Midsummer Night's Irene, Much Ado About Irene, Irene's Labour's Lost, and Twelfth Hurricane, or, What Irene Will.

Then came a wide variety of stuff, some of which I think will make good t-shirt material :) ...

I Survived Hurricane Irene and all I got was a drunken butler, a jester, and a fishy smelling mooncalf who tried to steal my laundry.
NC police report multiple complaints of an elderly gentleman claiming to have caused the hurricane, to seek revenge on his enemies.
 During the storm, keep an eye out for a rambling naked fellow and his fool. He's had a bad day, give him a cup of tea.
Oh, and lastly, for your entertainment, I found this interesting collection of three separate interpretations of the "storm scene" from Lear. It's called "Choices", and whoever made it has overlaid some text on each version - why did this guy swing his hands like that? why did this one choose to emphasize a certain word, or pause in a certain way?  It's all questions, there's no real analysis, but it's still interesting.


No comments: