Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ernie and Bert Are Dead

Oh my god how is this dated 2005 and I've not seen it? Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, done with Sesame Street characters. Tis just a textual piece - a script - not a video. But, still!



Curtain opens to show OSCAR standing on a balcony, staring glumly at a HAWK and a HANDSAW. A brass weathervane on the balcony is spinning; it stops at north-north-west for a moment, but ends up pointing southeast. ERNIE and BERT join OSCAR on the balcony.



BERT: Are you Prince Hamlet?



OSCAR: No, I'm a merchant from Venice.



ERNIE: Where's Venice?



The weathervane spins back to north-north-west.



OSCAR: Of course I'm Prince Hamlet.



BERT: Prince Hamlet, we have a question for you.



ERNIE: We hear you're having a bad month. We were wondering why that is.



OSCAR: Why am I having a bad month? You. have to ask why I'm having a bad month? Count von Claudius took away my trash. All of my lovely stinking trash. My whole foul and pestilent congregation of vapours.



Love it.



No comments: