Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Poetic Genius in Training

My daughter, 8, was writing poetry last night for Halloween. "Witches bats and spooky cats," she chanted.


"DUM da DUM da DUM da DUM da," I echoed from the next room.


After some discussion we agreed that there were 7 beats in that line, I found it too hard to get across the idea of there being a pausing beat on the end. But, 7 is fine. "So then on the next line you want to try and make it 7 beats as well," I tell her.


"Or," she says, "You know, close to 7, like maybe 6 or 8."


"Or 7," I suggest.


"And then for the next lines," she goes on, ignoring my suggestion, "I could do like 5 beats and 5 beats...."


I guess she's kind of getting the idea. :) I want to get to the point where I get a call from her teacher asking me to explain what "trochaic tetrameter" means :)



1 comment:

Duane Morin said...

For those that have never heard it, I present my favorite limerick:

There once was a poet named Dan,
Whose poetry just wouldn't scan.
When asked, "Is this so?"
He replied, "Yes I know,
It's because I try to fit as many syllables into the last line as I can."

:-D