Thursday, April 23, 2009

So, How’d You Spend Your Day?

Confess, fellow Shakespeare Geeks, what did you do for Shakespeare’s Birthday / Talk Like Shakespeare Day this year?

Though I found it a bit silly, I did some of my Twittering in my best Elizabethan.

Gave away some books to the winners of my Sourcebooks Shakespeare contest.

Got a new book, “Bardisms”, in the mail.

Tried very hard to make as many posts to the blog as I could (8, counting this one, and the day’s not done yet).

Snuck into my coworkers’ offices and put Shakespeare quotes on their whiteboards like a Shakespeare ninja: (misquotes on purpose for context)

For the military boss who never gives up, no matter how bleak the prospects:  “Yet I will try the last.  Before the ground I throw my warlike shield.  Lay on, MacDuff, and damn’d be he who first cries, ‘Hold, enough!’”

For the founder of the company, recently bitten by a strange dog in the middle of the office (trust me, a funny story):  “Cry Havoc!  and let slip the dogs of war!”

For the young do-it-all programmer who could own the place if he really tried (who also happens to be the sort of skinny young guy who can down 9 pieces of pizza in a sitting and never gain any weight):  “Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look…”

For the programmer who never says much, but always manages to deliver twice as much as you asked, in half the time you thought it would take:  “How far the little candle throws its beams!  So shines a good deed in a weary world.”

For the “technician” whose just is slowly being replaced by automatic scripts, who sees his role evolving into something new:  “We know what we are, but not what we might become.”

In the break room, where we just had a catered lunch complete with cookies, cake…and beer and wine:  “If sack and sugar be a fault, God help the wicked!’

Came home, played Midsummer Paper Dolls with my daughters.

Tonight, going to a “Shakespeare Open Mic” night.  No idea how that’ll turn out, but it should be fun!

[UPDATE: Typo fix, I did not write “so shines a good dead” on her whiteboard!]

2 comments:

Ian Thal said...

Sorry that I've not been by the Shakespeare Geek blog in a while, Duane. What I did was conduct a read-through of my own play!

Willshill said...

I went to see my daughter play Robin Goodfellow, aka Puck, in a preview performance of an original musical version of A Midsommernights Dreame. To honor the Bard, after the show birthday cake and champagne were served up onstage for the actors and audience --kinda cool--and somewhat apropos I think.