Monday, June 30, 2008

Shakespeare And Infinity

While I google for references, somebody refresh my memory - how new (or, at least, little known) was the concept of infinity while Shakespeare was writing?  I know I saw someplace some references to just when it was first written about and by whom, but I can't seem to put my finger on them.  I'd like to learn more about just how big of a deal it was that Shakespeare "jumped on the bandwagon early", so to speak.  That he "got" the concept of infinity pretty quickly.

That is, of course, if that's true.  I could be completely misunderstanding the timing and it could have been a concept every groundling understood, too.  But I don't think so.

I'm looking now, but every combination of googling for "Shakespeare" and "infinity" just turns up damned monkey typing references.

 

P.S. - My Mobius "infinity bracelet" has apparently arrived, so presentation to wife coming soon.  I say apparently because it arrived while I was on vacation over the weekend and all I got was a note in the mail saying I had to sign for it.   A note that arrived AT MY HOUSE INSTEAD OF MY BUSINESS ADDRESS so my wife is all "What's this?"  I'm not thrilled with this development, especially since I was planning to hide it until September for our anniversary.  Oh, well.  I'll let everybody know how it came out and how she likes it.

2 comments:

catkins said...

The OED cites Chaucer (1374) as the first instance of "infinity." Its use is also cited in the next century, especially in relation to God. I think Shakespeare got scooped on this one.

Duane Morin said...

Fair enough. Thanks for the reference!