Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Shakespeare for Lunch

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=477222007

Now there's a neat idea.  Break down the plays into 45 minute versions that you can watch on your lunch hour.  Instead of a three hour chore, you get an entertaining break in the middle of the day.  If they did such a thing walking distance from my office I'd be there every time.

Like any modern attempt to bring Shakespeare to the masses, I'm sure that it will be met with criticism.  What parts will they cut?  How much of the essence will be removed?  There are folks that will only be happy with Branagh's four hour Hamlet.  For the most part, I'm with you.  I'll take the original novel over the comic book any day.  But when I don't have time to sit through four hours, 45 minutes is much better than nothing.

 

Technorati tags: ,

No comments: