Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Weezer says Farewell ala Prospero

The band Weezer has fans concerned that they're calling it quits after leaving a particular Shakespeare quote in the liner notes of their last CD. The quote is Prospero's, from the Tempest, and will be familiar to fans of the play:

“This rough magic / I here abjure, and, when I have required / Some heavenly music, which even now I do / To work mine end upon their senses that / This airy charm is for, I’ll break my staff / Bury it certain fathoms in the Earth / And deeper than did ever plummet sound / I’ll drown my book.”

The Tempest is often referred to as Shakespeare's final work (although evidence suggests that he at least co-wrote three more plays after this one). But this speech in particular is usually considered to be his personal farewell.

Weezer won't say if that's what they meant, other than "...I thought it's a really nice way to say goodbye, if it is a goodbye."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Weezer play in Tampa on Sunday and I got the feeling that this might be the end. Each member of the band sang a song and the overall mood of the band seemed happy and relieved. Anyway, it's and interesting quote used by an interesting band.