Sunday, August 07, 2005

Shakespeare font?

I've got an art project I'm working on (a gift, really) and I need to do some text so that it looks like Shakespeare wrote it. I could probably go with any generic script-like font, but I'm geeky like that, I want to know that it looks like Shakespeare's script, even if I'm the only one that recognizes it :).

I'd like to pretend that I have the time to learn enough calligraphy and get enough samples to fake it myself, but that's not gonna happen. So now I'm on the hunt for a font I can pop into Microsoft Word or something and get something close. Anybody know of such a font that can save me all that hunting time? Thanks!

3 comments:

JaneFan said...

http://www.waldenfont.com/product.asp?productID=3
This site above has a package of 9 historical fonts including one replicating Shakespeare's hand, for $40. Looks pretty nice!

reed.reibstein said...

It's a bit ridiculous to leave a comment on a five-year-old post, but nevertheless: JaneFan's recommendation is thoughtful, but unfortunately Walden's claim that their William Shakespeare typeface is "inspired by the hand of our great bard" is a stretch unless it's a loose resemblance. Shakespeare's surviving signatures show that he wrote in the secretary hand style, while the Walden script typeface is an italic hand -- the latter was beginning to replace the former at the time, but while Elizabeth I wrote in italic, Will wrote in the older style. Shakespare is well known for using the italic long s in his signature, but the other letters are all secretary. The best secretary hand available is Elizabethan from P22.

Duane Morin said...

No worries, Reed, I'm watching :). Thanks for the link!