Monday, July 21, 2008

St. Crispin's Day

Since I missed the big speech yesterday at Rebel's Henry V, I went home and brought up a few versions on YouTube for the kids.  First is Olivier's:

Then Brannagh:

 

For kicks (thanks Christine!)  here's Jackson from Rebel Shakespeare during the performance I missed this weekend:

Here's an intriguing one.  It's Brannagh's audio, but someone has placed the entire speech over battle scenes from the game Starcraft.  I actually counted the number of times the shivers went up my spine during this:  16.  Damned near brought tears to my eyes.  It's one thing to watch Brannagh standing among his troops giving the speech, it's another to listen to it while you watch a glorious battle with soldiers going bravely to their doom:

2 comments:

Christine G. said...

brannagh's version does "cheat" with the music. but comparing olivier with brannagh at the time bardolph is hanged i find brannagh's version so much more amazing because he stands beneath the body of his former pal and gives that amazing speech.

i wish i had video of jackson doing the speech with bardolph running up the hill pulling his pants up with the rope hanging round his neck, trailing behind him.

THAT would have been fun to compare. ha!

good times this weekend. gooooood times.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment on my blog "Big Blue Couch" re: the playstation ad with the St. Crispin's Day speech. I had to rescue your comment from my spam comment queue because of all the links you included, but it's all good.